- Any person four years of age or older who resides in Rainbow City or Etowah County will be issued a free library card. Proof of residency must be shown at the time of application. Verification of address may be shown through:
- A valid Alabama driver's license
- Personalized checks, along with identification
- Valid documents (rent receipts, utility bills, etc.)
Children must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, whose identification will substitute for the child's. The first time a card is used, patrons are limited to two items. When the first items are returned (no earlier than the following day), the patron may check out the normal limit. Patrons are responsible for all use of their Library card. The library should be notified as soon as possible if a card is lost or stolen. A $2.00 replacement fee will be charged for lost cards. Parents may pick up cards for their minor children, but all other cards must be picked up by the patron to whom the card is issued.
- Any non-resident who owns real estate in the county will be issued a library card valid for one year. (Must show tax receipt showing current taxes are paid.)
- Any non-resident who teaches or attends a public or private school in the county will be issued a card valid for one year or for the length of the period the person will be teaching or attending school. (Must show a report card or student ID card for verification. Post-secondary students must show a student ID card or tuition receipt.)
- Non-resident students will be issued cards for the quarter/semester for which they are enrolled only.
- Only the person issued the borrower's card is eligible to use the card. The card may not be used by other family members.
- Any non-resident who attends a child-care center in the county will be issued a library card valid for one year or the length of enrollment in the center. (Must show tuition receipt.)
- Any non-resident who is employed full-time in the county will be issued a library card valid for one year. (May show verification in the form of an insurance card, letter from the employer on company letterhead, etc.)
- Those persons who meet none of the eligibility requirements may be issued a card if they pay a $10.00 non-resident, non-refundable fee. This fee must be paid on an annual basis.
Loan Periods & Fines
|Material Type||Circulation Period||Fine Per Day/ Per Item||Maximum Fine Per Item|
*Titles that have multiple reserve requests and/or are high demand authors may be placed on 10 day circulation.
Borrowing privileges are suspended until overdue materials are returned and fines are paid.
** ALL magazines cheked out on the same day must be returned before additional magazines can be checked out.
Fines are NOT charged for days when the Library is closed.
Materials may be returned in the curbside return located at the back of the building.
eBooks & Downloadable Audiobooks
Patrons may also check out 5 ebooks, downloadable audiobooks, or streaming video per card via Camellia Net. Digital magazines are also available for download via Camellia Net or rbdigital.
Items (except magazines) may be renewed twice, providing the title is not on reserve for another patron. Items may be renewed online or by phone during regular library hours. Magazines may not be renewed. The staff reserves the right to restrict renewals on books that are in high demand (i.e., best sellers, school assignments, holiday books, etc.). Renewal requests made via email or left on the Library’s voicemail system cannot be honored.
There is a 10-book limit per card. In addition, patrons may check out 5 eBook or downloadable audiobook titles per card via Camellia Net.
Non-fiction books are limited to 2 books per subject for each family. Further restrictions may be deemed necessary by library staff due to school assignments, etc.
Audiovisuals are limited to 3 audiobooks, 3 music CDs and 3 DVDs per card (this is in addition to the 10 book limit).
Patrons may also check out 5 magazines per card. (The most current issue of a magazine may NOT be checked out.) All magazines checked out on the same day must be returned before additional magazines can be checked out.
Reference books may not circulate.
Patrons will be charged the replacement cost of the item plus a $3.00 processing fee. When a patron pays for a lost or damaged item, an overdue fine will not be charged.
Refunds may be granted on items found and returned within 6 months of their original due date. The processing fee is non-refundable.