Art Night is back!
Stop by the library to create your poster!
Registration is not required.
Storytime resumes September 1!
Programs usually last about 30 minutes and feature stories, songs, fingerplays, and crafts.
Space is limited and registration is required.
Please sign up at the circulation desk to reserve a space.
If the 1:00 session fills up, we will maintain a sign up sheet for alternates. We may add a second session on Wednesday if there is enough demand.
Be considerate of others and do not attend a session if you or your child are sick.
Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center is an award-winning reference database for lifelong career exploration and planning. It offers a wealth of resources for users to assess their career goals and interests, plan their education, learn workplace skills, find apprenticeships and internships, conduct a job search, and much more.
For students choosing a career path, graduates entering the workforce, or professionals changing careers, Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center supports users at every step of their career journey.
Access Ferguson's Career Guidance Center from the library's computers or from your device on our wireless connection.
To access Ferguson's from outside the library, enter your entire 14-digit RCPL card number.
Prenda Code Club is a self-guided online software program for children that teaches you how to code through hundreds of coding tutorials and dozens of real-world projects. Prenda offers a gamified learning experience ― as you progress through the activities, you’ll earn clothes and accessories for your personal avatar.
TumbleBooks are animated, talking picture books which teach kids the joy of reading in a format they'll love. TumbleBooks are created by adding animation, sound, music and narration to existing picture books in order to produce an electronic picture book which you can read, or have read to you. TBL also includes National Geographic videos and games.
Users can access TBL from any smartphone, or iPad/Android tablet with an internet connection. Your kids can read as much as they want, when they want, with no wait times, check-outs, or downloads!
We have added Playaway Launchpads to our collection! These tablets come pre-loaded with educational content for children. Strengthen children's skills in reading, math, science, and language.
Several tablets in our collection are part of the Launchpad Pre-K Academy which gives preschool-aged children 5 different paths to explore on their way to kindergarten. With a combination of apps, storybooks, and videos – learning will happen right before your eyes. No downloads. No Wifi.
VOX Books are printed books that provide full professional audio narration using a unique audio reader attached to the book. Studies have shown that VOX Books users improve their reading comprehension by 75% and improve their reading accuracy by over 50%.
New titles have been added to our collection!
The August issue of Book Page is available!
Prefer the print version of BookPage? Pick up a copy on your next library visit while supplies last. You may also request a print copy with your curbside pickup order.
Borrow eBooks, digital audiobooks & magazines!
Borrow ebooks, audiobooks, and magazines to read on your device using the Libby app from OverDrive. It’s free and easy to get started. Learn more at https://meet.libbyapp.com.
Or, borrow items directly from the Camellia Net website.
Log in with your 8-digit RCPL card (start with the first zero and skip the last digit). For more information click here.
Can't log in? Please check with library staff. You may have an expired card, outstanding fines, or overdue items. Please call 256-442-8477 ext. 0 during normal operating hours.
Please note, you must log in with your RCPL card number to get access to all titles/copies owned by RCPL.
Homework Alabama is available for tutoring assistance for students from 10 a.m. - 11 p.m. daily .
Homework Alabama offers free online tutoring and academic resources from Tutor.com for Alabama residents from kindergarten students through college, plus adult learners. Get help in math, science, English, social studies or writing from a live tutor.
Access to Homework Alabama is available at https://aplsws1.apls.state.al.us/aplsnew/homework/.
eBooks for children – NO card required!
Juvenile eBooks are available in our online catalog. These titles are always available to be read in your browser and may be used by multiple users simultaneously. The interactive titles from Capstone have a read aloud option which highlights each word as it is read. To see a list of available titles click here. To view the interactive titles, search for "Capstone interactive" in the catalog.
Library Pandemic Guidelines
- Limited seating is available. Please continue to maintain social distancing while inside the library.
- Curbside service is available from 9:30am-6:30pm Monday – Thursday and 9:30am – 4:30 pm Friday and Saturday. You may also reserve materials online and come inside to pick them up once they are ready.
- Computers are available for use on a first come, first serve basis. To allow for social distancing, only 4 computers are available.
- Users will be given 1 hour with no extensions if all computers are full. An exception to the initial time limitation will only be made in rare instances such as a person taking a proctored online exam. Users may receive a maximum of one extension per day and may not have more than 2 sessions per day. An extension will count as a separate session. One extension of 15-60 minutes MAY be issued at the library staff’s discretion based on computer availability for others. Users on their second session will not be given any time extensions.
- Keyboards and mice will be disinfected frequently. Users should use sanitizer or wash their hands before and after their session. Only one person per computer will be allowed in the computer room. If you need someone to accompany you, please use the computer in the children’s area if it’s available.
- Sneeze guards are in use at the circulation desk to better protect employees and patrons.
- The water fountain is not available.
We offer online registration for temporary library cards to Etowah County residents at this time.
The temporary card will allow you to access digital items in Camellia Net via the Libby App or the website at https://camellia.overdrive.com/ . Click here to fill out an online application. Non-residents must apply for a card in person; a $10.00 annual fee is required.
The temporary cards are for electronic access only and will be valid for 3 months. You can stop by the library to pick up your library card and have your status changed to allow you to check out physical materials. At that time, you must complete a paper application and show your Alabama's driver's license or ID with your current address OR show a government issued photo ID and documentation of your current address (utility bill, rent agreement, bank statement, etc.) New borrower limits of 2 items per card will apply at the time the card is picked up.
Curbside pickup is available!
Curbside Pickup Procedures:
Curbside pickup is available Monday-Thursday from 9:30am - 6:30 pm and Friday - Saturday from 9:30am-4:30pm. To place an order, call us or visit our online catalog and log into your account to reserve items.
- We will notify you by phone when your items are ready so be sure we have your current phone number. When you are logged into your online account, you can view and edit your contact preferences and information under the account tab. You can also update your information by phone.
- After you receive notification that your order is ready, visit the library during curbside pickup hours to pick up your items. Curbside orders must be picked up within 3 business days.
- When you arrive, park behind the library in one of the designated numbered spots near the back atrium entrance and call the library to request your materials. Let us know the number of your parking spot.
- We will bring your items to your car. Be prepared to show your library card(s) or state issued photo ID.
- For contactless pickup, unlock the door to your cargo area or pop your trunk and we will place your materials inside and close the door/trunk.
- If you have materials to return, place them in the curbside return.
- Items will be checked out to you the day the order is filled, regardless of the day you pick them up. If your card is already full, items will be checked out after you return the necessary number of items.
- We will fill orders as fast as possible, but orders placed within 1 hour of the end of pick-up hours may not be available until the next day pickup is available. If demand becomes too high, we may place curbside fill limits per card or per family.
- If you have long overdue items you will have to return them before you may borrow additional materials. If items are lost, you will need to pay for them before checking out additional items.
- We will not provide curbside service if lightning or severe weather is in the area.
To reserve items online:
- Click Catalog/My account at the top of our website.
- In the upper right-hand corner, click Log On. Enter your 8-digit library card number number (start with the first zero and skip the last digit) and enter your password. If you have forgotten your password, click forgot password. If you don’t have a password you must call and have us add one to your account.
- Search for items. The catalog will show if the item is available. Click on the item of interest.
- On the right, click reserve.
- Once your item says successfully reserved, click ok to close the details page.
- To view your account, click My items. This will normally show what books are waiting for pickup and what remains on reserve. However, while we are offering curbside services, items will be checked out to you as soon as we fill the reserve, rather than the day you pick up the items. You can also see the other items you have out, any fines due, change your account information and view your history. Please be sure your correct phone number is listed so we can contact you about your reserves. We will contact you by phone when your order is ready.
- If you reserve an item that is “out” you will be notified by text, email, or phone when the item is returned and it’s your turn to borrow it.
Research Your Family Tree
In light of concerns about COVID-19, Ancestry and ProQuest are offering temporary from-home access to Ancestry Library Edition for Alabama residents. Please note that from-home access is available on a temporary basis and will end December 31, 2021. To access Ancestry Library Edition from home go to https://aplsws1.apls.state.al.us/aplsnew/web/content/electronic. Users will be asked to login to an APLS secure page before proceeding to Ancestry Library Edition. You can contact APLS reference staff at email@example.com for the login credentials. Users must use ALE Access as the subject of their email to receive the credentials promptly. Please note that this password will only work on APLS’ secure site; it is not a password to Ancestry itself.
This is a very generous gift from Ancestry to the people of Alabama. Please help APLS maintain this special access by not sharing the password on any public forum, like a public Facebook post and do not share the link or password with people who don’t live in Alabama. Continued from-home access depends on all of us taking precautions to stop unauthorized access.
You may also access Heritage Quest Online from home! You’ll find U.S. federal census records, family histories, published genealogies, historical books, Revolutionary War records, Freedman’s Bank records, and more to help you trace your American ancestors’ paths across history. If you are using Heritage Quest from home you will be prompted for your 14 digit Rainbow City Library Card number.
Join our Adult Knitting and Crochet Group
From Age of Learning, Inc., the award-winning ABCmouse.com curriculum is designed to help young children (ages 2-8+) build a strong foundation for future academic success. ABCmouse.com is 100% educational, with 5,000+ learning activities across all major subject areas-reading, math, science, social studies, art, and music. Best of all, kids love it!
Please bring your own headphones.
In-library access only. Remote access is not available.
Over 1,500 brand new learning activities designed to address the learning needs and interest of 2nd grade students has been added to ABCmouse.